Ms. Hope Hirst and her AP English class have started a drive to collect goods for the displaced families from the devastating fires.
Boxes can be found at many of the classes here at Point Arena High Schoo, at the Charter High School as well as in the office.
What to donate:
PLEASE think carefully about what it is you are donating! People don’t know what is needed or wanted and end up donating things (with the best intentions) that can not be used or distributed. Priorities are always the following:
- Easy to open and eat, non perishable foods, that do not require cooking
- Bulk foods that can be used by a shelter that provides meals
- BOTTLED WATER IS HUGE!!!
- Shoes, all sizes
- NEW underwear and socks, all sizes
- Personal needs such as toothpaste/brush, face wipes, hair brushes, feminine hygiene products, soap, shampoo, etc.
- Pet supplies are ALWAYS needed! Anything! Ropes, leads, leashes, food, beds, blankets, ANYTHING! Please no alfalfa or hay…unless you have a truck and are helping me drive it down! 🙂
- Blankets and pillows, cots and air mattresses
- Baby needs! ALL baby needs. Wipes and diapers and food and formula are huge!
- Reusable shopping bags and water bottles are HUGE as well! (Carrier bags or luggage etc. is WONDERFUL for helping too! Even purses can really help!)
- Think about what you would need throughout the day if all you had left in the world was what you have on you right now and you were “living” in an empty fairgrounds.
We are NOT accepting cash donations and please limit the amount of clothing you donate. (Clothing will be needed more later, for now likely the victims don’t have anywhere to store it or a way to carry it. However baby clothes and jackets/sweaters are always needed!)
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Hope Hirst.